Are you ready to participate in the July 2020 – Challenge #31? The theme for the July challenge is “Ocean/Water “.
The prize this month is Jillibean Soup’s Hello Sunshine stamp (see image below).
Check out my DT entry for this month’s challenge:
Now, I have never made an ocean themed card so I really had to search through my stash to find something that would work. And alas, no one set worked on it’s own so I ended up using several different components and I like the way it turned out.
I started with Prima Marketing Riviera Waves stamp and Tim Holtz for Ranger Distress Oxide Ink in Salty Ocean (appropriate I think!). Then I took the light house stamp from Pink and Main’s “Loves the Shore” stamp set (exclusive subscription box stamp) and Simon Says Stamp Intense Black Dye Ink and stamped it just above the ocean line.
Then I grabbed Picket Fence Studios ‘Sunbeam’ Stencil, Distress Oxide Ink in Squeeze Lemonade and my Taylored Expression Blender Brush to create a bit of glow to my lighthouse. I made sure to be heavier on the colour closer to the lighthouse and fade out as I got further away. I also brushed just a bit of colour right around the lighthouse (I just tapped off any left over ink from the brush) as I just wanted there to be a smidge of yellow.
Then I grabbed my Altenew Artist Markers to finish colouring. I took a couple shades of brown and created a bit of an island underneath my lighthouse. I also coloured in the rocks from the stamp. I used the darker brown to give a sand look to my tiny island by just placing dots all around.
I blended out the dots a bit with the lighter brown marker so it was a more subtle sand look. Then I grabbed a few other colours and finished colouring in my lighthouse. I used a very light grey just to add a bit of shadow on the white sections of the lighthouse. I stuck with mostly red, blue and white to keep a nautical look.
I added a bit of Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Pen to the glass on the light house at the very top just for a touch of shimmer.
I also added a few die cut clouds to the upper left corner of the card to help balance out the card as well as the “with waves of appreciation” sentiment from the Hero Arts March 2019 subscription box and Altenew Obsidian Pigment Ink.
And my card is complete. I really like the way this turned out and I’m definitely willing to make this card again – or knowing me a very similar card again (I can never bring myself to make the exact same card twice 😐 )
Thanks for having a look and I hope you’ll submit your card for this month’s challenge!
Stamps and Dies:
- Prima Marketing Inc French Riviera wave stamp
- Pink and Main ‘Loves the Shore’ stamp set (from the June 2019 Subscription box)
- Hero Arts ‘My Monthly Hero March 2019’ stamp set (Subscription Box)
- Picket Fence Studios ‘Sunbeam’ Stencil
- Simon Says Stamp Intense Black Dye Ink
- Altenew Obsidian Pigment Ink
- Tim Holtz for Ranger Distress Oxide Ink – Squeeze Lemonade, Salty Ocean
- Altenew Artist Markers
- Neenah Solar White cardstock (SSS)
- Simon Says Stamp Cardstock
- My Sweet Petunia’s MISTI Stamping Tool (SSS)
- Tim Holtz Mini Comfort Trimmer (SSS)
- Simon Says Stamp’s Acrylic Blocks (SSS)
- Simon Says Stamp’s Grid Transparency (SSS)
- Spellbinders Platinum 6 Die Cutting Machine
- Tom Holtz Tonic Glass Media Mat
- Therm-O-Web Purple Tape
- Taylored Expression Blender Brushes
**Please be aware that this site contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.